Notes about open source software, computers, other stuff.

Fixing problems after giving your Samba server a new IP address

While moving my DHCP server to a Raspberry Pi I also changed some of the IPs handed out to my (virtual) servers. This lead to problems when I logged into Windows (which is tied to my Samba domain), Windows complained that my roaming profile wasn’t completely synced and browsing network shares didn’t work, copying from (mounted) network shares didn’t work, etc.

In the Samba log files I noticed some references to the old IP address (192.168.10.23), e.g.:

[2014/03/13 16:22:23,  0] nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:237(become_domain_master_query_success)
  become_domain_master_query_success:
  There is already a domain master browser at IP 192.168.10.23 for workgroup SENW registered on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.

and

  [2014/03/13 16:20:07,  0] nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:248(domain_master_node_status_fail)
  domain_master_node_status_fail:
  Doing a node status request to the domain master browser
  for workgroup SENW at IP 192.168.10.23 failed.
  Cannot sync browser lists.

Even after restarting smbd and nmbd, and checking my smb.conf thoroughly, these kept showing up.

It turns out (thanks a lot Matt Godbolt) that nmbd keeps caches in two files (paths as they are on my Ubuntu 12.04 server):

  • /var/cache/samba/browse.dat
  • /var/lib/samba/wins.dat

Simply stop nmbd, delete them, restart nmbd and you’re happy.

1 Comment

  1. sulaweyo

    Thx for sharing, just ran into that myself 🙂

Leave a Reply to sulaweyo Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

© 2021 Lennart's weblog

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑