While moving my DHCP server to a Raspberry Pi I also changed some of the IPs handed out to my (virtual) servers. This lead to problems when I logged into Windows (which is tied to my Samba domain), Windows complained that my roaming profile wasn’t completely synced and browsing network shares didn’t work, copying from (mounted) network shares didn’t work, etc.
In the Samba log files I noticed some references to the old IP address (192.168.10.23), e.g.:
[2014/03/13 16:22:23, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:237(become_domain_master_query_success) become_domain_master_query_success: There is already a domain master browser at IP 192.168.10.23 for workgroup SENW registered on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
[2014/03/13 16:20:07, 0] nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:248(domain_master_node_status_fail) domain_master_node_status_fail: Doing a node status request to the domain master browser for workgroup SENW at IP 192.168.10.23 failed. Cannot sync browser lists.
Even after restarting smbd and nmbd, and checking my
smb.conf thoroughly, these kept showing up.
It turns out (thanks a lot Matt Godbolt) that nmbd keeps caches in two files (paths as they are on my Ubuntu 12.04 server):
Simply stop nmbd, delete them, restart nmbd and you’re happy.
Thx for sharing, just ran into that myself 🙂