Today I tried to upgrade Emacs Org-mode to version 8.3. I used the regular package upgrade, but got the following error:
Invalid function: org-babel-header-args-safe-fn
Unfortunately, Irreal’s advice to byte-compile
ob-R.el (twice) didn’t work out for me (by the way: thanks Planet Emacsen for aggregating so many useful posts!).
Browsing through some discussions on the emacs-orgmode mailing list it seemed that the error was due to org-mode being loaded while reinstalling the package. So I did the following:
- I started emacs without loading my personal settings:
Next I ran the following code from my
.emacsfile in the scratch buffer (
M-x eval-region) to set up the package manager:
(require 'package) (package-initialize) ;; Add the original Emacs Lisp Package Archive (add-to-list 'package-archives '("melpa" . "http://melpa.org/packages/") t) ;; Add the user-contributed repository (add-to-list 'package-archives '("marmalade" . "http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/"))
And finally I used the package manager to remove and then install the latest org package.
Now all is fine again! 🙂
And by the way: this is my first blog post using Org2blog!
Thanks! II was tearing my hair out trying to fix that “Invalid function: org-babel-header-args-safe-fn” error.